Garden Residences Website Map
Spanish version of this website
Watch our video
Houses Resort Residences Santa Ana, San José, Costa Rica Houses features Financial information Houses construction Contact us Garden Residences home page

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

New Construction

Lease / purchase

Phase 3: The construction of the remaining 11 residences.

Scheduled to begin in November with completion expected
by January 31.

<< Back

Progress Report

July 18-23 , 2005 // CONSTRUCTION LOG #41

Contact phone numbers

Internet Phone:
New York 315-279-6711 // Toronto 416-907-5758

Costa Rica:
Cell 506-305-3965 // Land 506-282-4142 Ext. 101

NOTE: our land line in CR has changed;
we are now integrated into the compound network.

Pictures: several pictures each of 107 and the beginnings of 106 and the finished Jacuzzi in 108.


Permit: Our project was not reviewed by the directors of SETENA on Wednesday evening. We'll wait until next Wednesday but as Monday is a holiday here (the annexation of Guanacaste), we'll have to see.

New Construction: On the triplex (114, 115, 116) we've restarted working on finishing the grey coat on the walls and around the windows and doors. This work has continued and other minor work, eg. finishing of small roof sections and installation of decorateive terrace fencing.

Unit 107: We are still targeting for completion by the end of July or before. Door installation is well advanced. Granite installation in the kitchen is finished. Window installation is finished. We are having trouble replicating a color of paint used before in #111 and 105. We have been using Sherwin Williams paint for a number of reasons including replication of color based on a standard formula; this seems not to be the case here. One change I did make here was to the front entrance way. Originally I was planning on some type of water feature. While rough in plumbing and electrical is there, I will wait for consultation with the owner and will temporarily landscape it.

Unit 106: As the pictures show, this site is now cleaned of the cement pad which was the former 106. We have prepared for and are installing a 5000 liter septic tank and leach field and absorption pit. Next week should see the excavation of the top soil and footings. We now have most of the needed drawings for the structure itself. We are in the process of making some minor interior adjustments to suit the purchasers.

Condominium Registration: We are proceeding with this. We have authorized the installation of a 167KV transformer and for the architect to begin assembling all the papers necessary for this application including the requirements for fire hydrants. (The latter is a bit of a joke since it is unlikely that the City would be able to supply the water even if we had a fire and the fire department did respond in time. We will continue to rely on our swimming pools as reservoirs for fire.) Many documents already exist as a result of the building permit application process. Following the issuance of a building permit for the 10 houses, we will submit the application for condominium status.

Problems: automatic timers: the digital timers have been replace with old fashioned analog timers; we hope for longer, more reliable performance. Entrance gate / phone management system: the main box and the related programming has been done. We are waiting for the external gate communication link to complete the installation. This installation did not go smoothly and in perhaps a related incident, the ADSL / internet connection is not functioning. ICE, the provider of the signal seems to be the culprit. As a follow up, ICE said (and I find this difficult to swallow) that someone told them to shut down the service. IF this is the case, it leaves all very vulnerable; there should be some type of confirmation process. Somehow, I think this is about as likely as a pig swimming across the ocean but the system is now back up and running so...

Marketing: This week we penned the sale on 115 and also on 109. The project was discovered by a telemarketer in Florida who was researching a place for himself to live. He has been involved in marketing other CR real estate so has a data base of 15,000 people interested in CR. We are in the process of developing a campaign to contact them. I had inquired of those of know more than I about how to do this, the cost, etc,; feedback focused on the technical can of worms which would be opened. This contact seems to have addressed all those concerns and expect that within a week, he will be ready to go. I am doing what I consider necessary at my end to see that this is effective.

As previously stated would happen, we have increased the price of most remaining units by $3,000. For those wondering, the following units are still available: 110, 113, 117, 118, 119,120, 121, 122, 123. I'm currently in discussion with people re. 113 and 123. I expect to purchase 102A and B.

Note: Given the normal course of events, it is likely that we would virtually sell out in 3-4 months. While this telemarketing campaign may advance that date or help insure it happens, it is also a pilot effort to see what might be done for the next project.

Next Project: While it is still a bit early, I did explore 4 other possible projects this week: Two were brought to me, one was a follow up, and one was a new discovery. The two which were brought to me were both on the beach-one northwest and one southwest. While no final decision has been made, I don't think either Paul or I are interested in living at the beach for the 2+ years which would be required to complete either project. The one project which involves the annexation of 2500 meters contiguous to the current property doesn't look promising either because of price and limited integration with the current project. The last possibility involves 35,000 meters of gorgeous, buildable, view property in a wonderful neighborhood. It is priced reasonably. The problem here is the size / $$ required and the timing. We'll see...


Lita continues with her exercise program, her singing and playing with Vicka and initiating our social life. My time was largely devoted to keeping the balls in the air, moving forward on existing issues, marketing and related meetings/correspondence, etc. and beginning to think about the future recognizing we have another 6 mo. Here but also knowing it will take at least 6+ months to move another project to the development stage. Our concern it two fold: we want to keep busy and we want to maintain our key crew members. We've worked hard to assemble and train these people to know what we want, I would really like to keep them.

Weather: It's rained frequently here this week, but not too hard. This could have been predicted since we started excavation work on 106-the weatherman loves to make MUD.

Brian, Lita, Hugo and irreverent Vicka, the pigeon toed parrot.

^ Top

Contact us at any time to purchase a new house and still be able to select your finishings.

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture